Seniors suffering from diabetes have been increasing over the years. This is a serious health concern for the elderly in India. However, our senior citizen homes have medical practitioners and caregivers who make sure seniors follow a systematic approach to managing this condition. Eating right is said to be the first and the most ideal way for diabetic seniors to manage this condition effectively.
People suffering from diabetes are likely to find it challenging to make healthy food consumption habits and mindful choices. Nevertheless, diabetes can be kept on track by controlling portion sizes, considering meal times, and balancing by eating the right food. The ideal diet for diabetics should be nutrient-rich that is low in calories like fats and high in vitamins/minerals. It should also include lots of whole foods like raw fruits, vegetables, and lean meats. Our list of useful cooking tips will help you create a wholesome diet plan and have a positive impact on your body.
- Learn to enjoy a variety of whole foods from all kinds of food groups to keep most diseases at bay. Make sure your food has enough greens to reduce the risk of developing diseases like high blood pressure, diabetes, and heart disease. Remember to cook foods with little to no added sugar, add less saturated fats, and keep sodium out of reach.
- As the best senior citizen homes in India, our F&B managers create protein-packed diets for seniors to enjoy throughout the day. You can also add food that helps to maintain muscle mass like seafood, dairy, or some soy products along with beans, peas, and lentils to their daily meals. Read more to know how protein and other important nutrients can impact your diet.
- Make sure to add some sliced or chopped fruits and vegetables to your daily meals and snacks. You can also opt for many pre-cut varieties if slicing and chopping is a big task for you during your retirement.
- Try foods that are enriched with vitamin B12 like adding some cereals, or talk to your medical practitioner about taking a B12 supplement in your food. We are the best senior citizen homes in India with a group of dedicated caregivers who make a wholesome and nutrient-rich diet that can keep you healthy and active during your golden years.
- Reduce your sodium consumption by decreasing your salt and sugar intake and make sure to add more seasoning foods like herbs and citrus such as lemon juice.
- Remember to drink plenty of water to make sure your body feels hydrated enough throughout the day. This will also aid in the digestion of food and help the body to absorb nutrients.
Follow these easy and beneficial tips to get the most out of the foods and beverages you consume daily while reducing the risk of diabetes and getting an adequate amount of nutrients.