Fuller’s Earth: Our pores clogged due to active hormones during puberty causing stimulated production of sebum, almost all of us have suffered from Teenage Acne. And all those from India, have probably heard it from their ‘Dadis and Nanis’ that “Multani Mitti” or Fullers Earth removes excess oil, dirt, sebum, sweat, and impurities from the skin. This means it helps in cleaning pores from the inside which further aids in preventing acne and pimples.
Multani Mitti, or “mud from Multan,” was named after the City of Sufis or the city with the history of mineral-rich clay in Pakistan, Multan. People from the Indian subcontinent have been using Fuller’s earth since the 18th century. During World War 2 sore and inflamed feet of souldiers were soothed in a dispersion of Fuller’s Earth in water.
What is the composition of a wonderful ingredient like Fuller’s Earth flour that works as a beautifying and cleansing product?
Fuller’s Earth occurs naturally in sedimentary clay. It is mainly composed of a superabsorbent form of alumina silicate. Other components like iron oxides, magnesium, dolomite, calcium, calcite, and water are present in extremely variable proportions. It is naturally found in powder form in different colours like yellow, buff, blue, brown, green, blue, white, and olive.
- Iron Oxides: Iron oxide help in preventing premature skin ageing by protecting it from visible light. They are non-toxic, non-allergic, and are well tolerated by those with sensitive skin.
- Magnesium: Magnesium aids in the protection of the skin from pollutants by regulating cellular regeneration and repairing with an increase in the recovery of skin when it is damaged and strengthen it when it is under attack.
- Calcium: Calcium is a micronutrient that helps in preserving a healthy skin glow.
Who can use Multani Mitti?
Multani Mitti can be used on people above the age of 8. Though it is a natural product and would not have any side effects it can form rashes, irritation, and allergies on infants’ skin due to friction. No matter which skin type you have, Fuller’s Earth can be a solution to many problems related to skin and hair.
In what ways Fuller’s Earth can be useful?
Fuller’s earth is immensely helpful. It’s like nature’s gift for skin and hair. It can be combined with other ingredients to make it suitable for different skin types and concerns.
- To control excess sebum production: Fuller’s Earth acts as a skin cleanser and natural oil absorbent. Due to high lime content, it fights bacteria-related problem skin problems.
- To exfoliate skin: It helps in removing dead skin cells, blackheads, whiteheads and reduces acne scars and blemishes as it is rich in magnesium chloride. It aids in the reduction of inflammation and helps to smoothen the skin that is damaged.
- To get rid of sun tan: Fuller’s Earth is also known as “Bleaching Clay” for its bleaching properties and makes an amazing agent for reducing tan and sun damage. It also helps in reducing fine lines caused by sun damage.
- To improve uneven skin tone: As its name suggests “Whitening Clay” restores skin elasticity and improves uneven complexion and pigmentation.
- To soothe itchy scalp: Fuller’s Earth flour helps in cleansing and clearing dandruff-causing bacteria. With anti-bacterial properties, it soothes and heals an itchy scalp.
- To improve hair growth: Multani Mitti also increases blood flow in the scalp restoring healthy hair. Thus improving hair growth, reducing hair damage, and improving hair texture.
How can we use Fuller’s Earth in our skincare and haircare regime?
Due to the pollution, we are already putting so many chemicals on our face in our day-to-day lives. Impurities get to cling to the skin pore, which causes breakouts and triggers harm in the deeper layers of skin where wrinkles and most discolouration happens.
So, we need to avoid potentially harmful synthetic chemicals on our skin and go for all-natural and eco-friendly options.
Here are the popular face pack of Multani Mitti and procedure to follow to making it.
Multani Mitti Pack for Oily textured skin:
Prepare a mixture of 1 tablespoon of Multani mitti along with rose water and freshly squeezed lemon juice to form a paste. Apply it to your face and wash it off with cool water.
Multani Mittti Face Pack for Parched Skin:
Prepare a mixture of 1 tablespoon of fuller’s earth flour and 1 teaspoon honey and lemon juice. Apply the mixture on your face for 20 minutes and wash it after some time.
Multani Mitti Face Pack for Pimples:
Prepare a mixture of 1 tablespoon of Fuller’s earth flour, 1 pinch of turmeric powder( Haldi), 1 teaspoon sandalwood powder, and 2 tablespoons of tomato juice. Let the face pack sit for 15-20 minutes before washing it off with cool water. Use the pack thrice a week for pimple-free skin.
Multani Mitti Face Pack for Fairness:
Mix 1 tablespoon of Multani mitti with 1 tablespoon of papaya pump. Wash it off with cool water after it dries completely. Repeat it twice or thrice a week for fairer skin.
Multani Mitti Face Pack to removing Skin Tan:
Mix 1 tablespoon of Multani mitti with 2 tablespoons of coconut water. Apply it to the affected areas and rinse it off with cool water. To achieve good results you must apply every alternative day.
Multani Mitti for Dark Circles:
Mix 1 tablespoon of Multani mitti with 3 tablespoons of fresh cucumber juice. Apply on the skin under your eyes and wash it off with normal water in 10-15 minutes. Try using the pack twice or thrice a week.
Multani Mitti for Hair Growth and Scalp Protection:
Prepare a mixture of 4 tablespoons of Multani mitti with 2 tablespoons of lemon juice, 1 tablespoon of yoghurt, and 1 tablespoon of baking soda. Leave it for 30 minutes and wash it off with lukewarm water.
Talking about its importance and it being a very popular face pack among females, it carries a lot of eminent properties, which is hard to find in other market products. So, what are you waiting for? Use it today and enjoy the benefits offered by it.