People tend to underestimate drinking problem, thinking that everything is under control. That’s why alcohol addiction becomes one of the main health issues that aren’t easily solved because of the abusers doing even realizing that they have a drinking problem. Too much alcohol or too often drinking can lead to other serious issues. Unfortunately, it has become one of the most common issues in America these days because people have very low consideration and understanding about the severity of their condition.
Controlling your drinking issue may not be as easy as you think. Around 17 million of adults in America alone between the age of 18 and above have AUD (Alcohol Use Disorder). Around 1 of every 10 children has to live with providers or parents suffering from a drinking issue. Everyone knows that drinking can lead to other serious violence and problems, such as domestic violence, rape, and others.
When to Be Cautious
AUD is a condition that shouldn’t be overlooked or underestimated. Not many people know that it falls under the category of a medical condition where the person has no control over how much alcoholic content they consume. This medical condition can lead to harm, distress, or further problems. This problem can be mild or severe, depending on how long you have this condition or how bad the alcohol has affected your system.
In case you want to assess your own condition to determine whether you have a drinking issue or not, look at these questions and answer them.
- Do you find yourself in a situation when you end up drinking longer or more than you have intended before?
- Do you always feel the urge to drink, especially when you are at a party or other social events? In fact, you will find yourself fidgety or jittery without the drink?
- Have you ever wanted to stop drinking or at least to reduce the content, and yet you can’t do it?
- Do you always find yourself craving for drinks? Can’t you stop thinking about it?
- Do you always find yourself drinking most of the time?
- Do you find yourself being trapped in the situation where drinking interfere with your personal life? Does it get in the way of your personal relationship with others, jobs, schools, or even family?
- Do you keep on drinking despite the fact that it creates problems with your loved ones or with your professional career?
- Do you find yourself being alone because you withdraw yourself from any social relationship and connection?
- Do you find yourself stop doing all the fun activities you used to love and enjoy? Are you no longer participating in the activity because you prefer drinking to those activities?
- Do you suffer from withdrawal symptoms (like nausea, sweating, jittery, nervousness, shakiness, or anxiety) when you aren’t drinking?
- Do you often suffer from blackout? You don’t really remember what you have done or you can’t recall recent activities.
You need to remember that most alcoholics won’t even admit that they have a drinking problem. It is important to have someone to support you and urge to find help. When you start seeing that the withdrawal symptoms are getting apparent, it means that finding a help should be done as fast as you can. Sure, it is not easy to admit that you have a drinking problem but everything is possible with the right support and encouragement. If confidentiality is important to you, why not try the online evaluation first? From there, you can progress to professionals in this field.
Different Types of Options
When you want to choose the right treatment, there is no specific option. When you understand your condition and your doctor can help you with your options, big chances that you should be able to find the perfect solution. It may not be easy but it should get you going to the first step.
What kind of alcohol addiction treatment available for you? Here are some of the most common methods:
- Behavioral Treatments. Counseling is mostly included in this treatment. It is expected to help any alcoholics to have a better and positive view of themselves, the world, and the general perspective. This treatment is usually performed by the professionals who know what they are doing. Not only this treatment is designed to help you stop your drinking problem, it will also address the core issue. In most cases of addictions, the problem starts with psychological factor or scars.
- This treatment can be done to help the alcoholics alleviate the symptoms slowly. When you suffer from major withdrawal symptoms such as nausea, sweating, excessive heart beating, or cramps, consuming the medicines can help. However, such treatment should be done under strict monitor of the professional health care so it won’t lead to substance abuse. This treatment is also optional, which means that it can be done or not – depending on the health professionals’ opinion.
- Mutual support groups. Have you ever heard about the so-called AA (Alcoholics Anonymous) or other support programs? They are designed to provide group encouragement and support for alcoholics to stop the habit right away. When this type of support is accompanied by other treatments – such as the medication or the behavioral therapy – the result can be quite positive and long-lasting.
Besides these options, there are also other alternatives that most doctors will try. Some of them will try the FDA approved medications through trial and error approach. It is also possible that you may have to go through motivational enhancement therapy that covers only a short recovery period or the cognitive-behavioral therapy. The ways you want to go through the treatments depend on you. Some people may choose the outpatients center while some may choose the inpatient rehab center.
It is important that everyone knows their options, including you as the patient. You have the right to choose the right treatments – including choosing another alternative when the first option doesn’t fit your requirements or comfort. Be sure to find the right support and work together with the professionals – you should be in a good hand.