SARS COV-2 or Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus 2 is an infection that can lead to COVID-19 disease. It is a new virus belonging to the coronaviruses but it is spread rapidly and it can be life-threatening to some people who may have weak immune systems or have pre-existing medical conditions.
With the increasing number of COVID-19 cases worldwide, preventive measures have been implemented to protect one’s self:
- Washing of hands thoroughly and frequently.
- Avoid touching the face.
- Stop handshakes and hugs with other people.
- Stop sharing personal items.
- Covering your mouth when you sneeze or cough
- Physical distancing.
- No crowd drawing activities.
- Wash fresh groceries thoroughly
- Clean and disinfect surfaces.
- Stay at home.
Everyone is asked to stay at home in countries where there is a high number of COVID-19 cases. And one thing you can do now while staying at home is to prevent the spread inside your homes. Here are some tips for you:
- Take advantage of the time and opportunity to clean your homes. There is no reason to procrastinate. You can have all the time to clean every surface and corner of your house. You can prepare cleaning materials and your cleaning apparels to protect yourself as what commercial sanitization services do, get some face masks and hand gloves while you handle all the cleaning materials that you have.
- Prepare your task list, sort and execute. Do not clean your whole house at once. You can make a list of all the areas you want to clean then make a schedule on when you will do them strategically so that you will not be bringing dirt to a place that you have previously cleaned.
- Ask yourself what sparks joy in your home. You can wake up the Marie Kondo in you. Think of the things that you really think will no longer be useful for you but for others. You can get your kids and join you in this activity. Surely, you can get a big pile of things that have been long-standing in your house for years. Donate them to charity.
- Use disinfectants containing 70% alcohol or dilute bleaching agents with water. Do not mix bleach with any other cleaning agent or acid, do not use expired products and always protect yourself when handling them. Have proper room ventilation when dealing with bleach.
- Wash your soiled clothes with the highest washing temperature. Make sure that you also wear gloves while washing or if you do not wear them, wash your hands after your laundry. Clean your washing machine after use. You can also wash your laundry bags and baskets where germs or viruses can also accumulate.
A great way to feel productive during this time of community lockdown is to clean your home and prevent any disease caused by these viruses and bacteria. Do not forget to take your before and after photos so you can inspire others to do preventive measures like what you did. This is a community effort, so everyone must take time to deep clean their homes.