When time is short and hunger is there, it could be handy to have a magic book containing endless quick, easy, and healthy recipes. Sadly, magic does not work in that way. It is better to get information and learn how to cook fast but good meals when you need them.
Usually, people think that preparing a nutritious dish implies a lot of time in the kitchen and too much effort. But, this is not entirely true.
Making a menu based on healthy ingredients only needs you to focus on using proper ingredients and the right cooking technique. Actually, it is not as hard as you believe.
Learning the basics of healthy food
The term “healthy food” refers to all-natural and unprocessed ingredients containing all nutrients your body needs for working in good conditions. Nutritious foods include:
- Legumes or beans.
- Lean meats.
- Nuts and seeds.
- Reduced-fat milk and dairy products.
The idea is to eat a balanced diet combining some of these ingredients and get the necessary vitamins, minerals, fat, proteins, and carbohydrates.
But knowing which food to eat is not enough for a healthy diet. You have to learn how to cook them. Using the proper cooking technique will maintain all the ingredients’ beneficial components. As a result, you will eat meals that will make you feel strong and healthy.
Forget about deep-frying and pan-frying. Steaming, broiling, grilling, poaching, and baking are the best cooking methods for a well-balanced menu. It is very easy to include them in your kitchen since you already make your meals using some of these techniques.
Right, you already know the basics techniques for preparing nutritious dishes. Now it is time to get your hands on it, but you keep wondering if it is possible to cook healthy meals in a fast way. Taking some meat and frying it is easy and quick, indeed. However, preparing good food faster is also possible.
Bringing down some healthy food myths
General knowledge has told us making nutritious meals is hard work. This is not true because healthy meals are a synonym for freshness. So, cooking methods are intended to maintain ingredients as natural as the components allow, i.e.: cooking them in the simplest way.
Another false myth is that healthy food has no taste or tastes all the same. The wide variety of foods for preparing balanced meals is countless. Combining different colors, textures and flavors will form delightful meals each time you cook.
No more fried chicken, fried rice with egg, hamburgers, or sugary snacks. You do not have to quit these delicious dishes. You can still eat them by wisely using proper ingredients and cooking methods.
Rice is a key ingredient for fast and healthy dishes
The range of possibilities for fast and healthy dishes is enormous, and you may feel overwhelmed. You do not have to worry. The good news is that you will always have new recipes to try; this is your magic secret. The best news is that you can start by cooking the simplest and fastest dishes in those moments when you are in a hurry, and reserve the time-consuming dishes for special lunches.
A good option for a quick meal is the traditional egg-fried rice. It is not deep-fried but it will taste like it.
Quick and healthy egg fried rice (20 minutes)
Ingredients (2 servings)
- 3 teaspoons of vegetable oil.
- 250 grams of cooked brown basmati rice.
- 20 grams of grated fresh ginger.
- 1 diced green chili.
- 2 minced cloves of garlic.
- 160 grams of frozen peas.
- 160 grams of frozen sweetcorn.
- 2 beaten eggs.
- ¼ cup of diced spring onions.
- 1 teaspoon of fish sauce.
- 1 teaspoon of sesame oil.
- 10 grams of chopped coriander leaves.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Lime wedges for garnish.
- In a wok, pour vegetable oil over high heat.
- Incorporate ginger, chili, garlic, and rice. Stir-fry for 2 minutes.
- Add peas and sweetcorn.
- Place all these ingredients on one side of the wok. In the space created, add the beaten eggs, salt, and pepper.
- Scramble the eggs while cooking. When they are almost cooked, mix rice with it.
- Incorporate spring onions, and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Finally, pour fish sauce and sesame oil. Stir very well.
- Serve hot with lime wedges for squeezing.